Since the discovery of Covid 19(Coronavirus SARS COV 2) in December 2019, flow of information and circumstances are changing everyday. It is hard to keep up with so much information and sort out real from myths.
Here is a short and sweet summary from Massachusetts General Hospital to take care of Covid 19 patient.
In general, following points are important to remember which are referenced from reputable sources
- At present there is no cure and no prophylactic agent available. Several agents are being tried in various clinical trials worldwide. These include hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, serum and antibody from recovered patients, various antivirals include ramdesivir, colchicine and tolicizumab.
- Social distancing can reduce the rate of spread, thereby preventing over burdening the hospitals, thereby reducing the mortality.
- Virus can survive up to 17 days on fomites.
- Ideal personal protective equipment is the one shown by Chinese, covering head to toe.
- Basic infection control measures still work, such as handwashing.
- There are up to 30% false negative test results.
- Significant number of infected patients is symptomatic.
- Mortality rates are lower than 3.4% as reported by WHO.
Best resource to track new patients
Best evidence for health care workers
I will update this page as more information is available.